Reply to post: Very dodgy subject

Maybe there is hope for 2020: AI that 'predicts criminality' from faces with '80% accuracy, no bias' gets in the sea

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Very dodgy subject

but on a personal note, I find some people do look a bit dodgy from their features (nothing racial here, I'm white and I'm referring to white people). I don't know if it is exactly their facial features or their expressions or use of eye contact or whatever, but I'm automatically wary about certain people - the wife also tends to be wary of exactly the same people. There was a gang of 5 violent burglars on a BBC one programme yesterday and they all had "the look".

When certain people knock on your door, before they open their mouth, you automatically suspect they are up to no good; just something about them. You are ready for their scam before they claim to be from the gas board or that you have a slate missing on your roof.

Certain TV and movie actors also have "the look" and tend to be picked for parts where they play the baddy or psycho. Some have made a long career out of it. As to what they are like in real life, who knows. This is the problem with generalisations. I'd guess that there is maybe a bias of people who have the dodgy look who actually are criminals compared to the rest of the population but probably not enough to go down the rabbit hole of trying to make a science out of it. There are of course plenty of people who don't have "the look" who are dodgy.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon