Reply to post: Re: L-1

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses... but not your H-1B geeks, L-1 staffers nor J-1 students

LucreLout

Re: L-1

What newly minted American STEM graduates are finding is that they are competing against H1-B workers who are willing to work at reduced wages and under strict contract requirements for many years in trade for a green card so that very wealthy corporations don't have to pay Americans competitive wages.

Yes, our American franchise has sky high starting salaries for STEM grads as developers. It's no exaggeration to say that starting salaries post taxes are considerably higher than mine, and I've got several degrees and decades of experience and I'm in a senior role here. This is caused by the pull of Silicon Valley and the high likelihood of being a millionaire after a decade out there.

H1B's are often used as a way to bring in volume, if not quality, because some developer tasks are mind numbing, and if you're paying a six figure starting salary then you don't want them doing noddy work, you want them adding value ASAP. With the visa you effectively have a worker committed for a 5 year stint and on a much lower compensation package, so in fairness it's a bit of a no brainer a lot of the time.

Unfortunately for America, the work won't go to onshore Americans, it'll simply come here where I can any skill level I like for a lot less money.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon