Reply to post: Re: Microsoft are much more evil

Sure is wild that Apple, Google app store monopolies are way worse than what Windows got up to, sniffs Microsoft prez

Updraft102

Re: Microsoft are much more evil

In summary, you've not been a Windows user for years and haven't even used Windows 10, so really you don't know what you're talking about!!

I can vouch that he got it right.

I liked XP, and I kept that until Windows 8.1 came out. I began to chafe at the limitations of 4 GB, and XP x64 wasn't going to work (very little support, not much time left, etc.), so I had a look at 8.1. Er, no, I said.

I moved to 7 x64 at that point. I railed against 8.1 and the moronic minds who thought that was a good idea.

8.1 was such a flop that MS abandoned the idea of fixing it (originally, Threshold was to be Windows 8.2) and introduced Windows 10. People were saying that this was going to be the make or break OS for Microsoft... two flops in a row would doom them.

I saw Windows 10 when it came out, and I was appalled by what I saw. I moved back to 7 and waited for 10 to improve as Vista had (it actually got decent, though nobody knew that. People had abandoned Vista and never given it a second thought). It became evident that it was not going to get better, as the flaws were part of the grand design, not oversights or results of an unfinished product being released (like Vista).

I did keep 10 on one of my PCs so I could monitor the progress... or lack thereof. It didn't get any better in the ways that mattered.

When I thought back to Windows 8.1, my dislike of it seemed almost quaint compared to why I despised 10. Had I really hated 8.1 so much when its flaws were correctible with things like Classic Shell and other similar programs?

It took Windows 10 to make Windows 8/8.1 look good.

I did end up upgrading to 8.1 on several of my PCs... the last version of Windows I would use, it turned out. I bought several Windows 10 laptops and converted them to Linux since then, but I kept 10 on just in case I need it for something, and that something has really only been testing things to compare to Linux (like assessing battery life on each). They're on 1809 now, and I still can't stand 10. I can't wait to get out of there and back to a sane OS whenever I try it. That only happens once every few months, but still, it's like using a porta-potty that is, uh, ready for servicing, and that has been sitting in the hot sun. Can't wait to get out.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon