Reply to post: Re: Microsoft are much more evil

Sure is wild that Apple, Google app store monopolies are way worse than what Windows got up to, sniffs Microsoft prez

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Microsoft are much more evil

"Microsoft forcing PC manufactures to only pre-install Windows, almost killing all OS choice and giving Windows a monopoly."

Agreed that was a disgrace. They should have been confident that DOS/Windows was good enough that nobody wanted any other OS, instead of being downright nasty about it.

"Once they had the OS monopoly they start bundling Internet Explorer with the OS to kill Netscape, so now they have a web browser monopoly because everyone is now running Windows because of previous naughtiness"

I sort-of disagree because it seems to me that having a built-in web browser is something a modern desktop operating system needs. It certainly needs an HTML rendering component. Yes, people can install any browser, but built in browsers usually has advantages in startup times, memory consumption and battery life, partly due to using the builtin HTML renderer.

When the EU slapped down Microsoft for bundling IE, I think that was partly due to the fact that they failed to act earlier on other more serious misdemeanours.

But Microsoft are still right to call out Apple and Google. It's hypocritical when you take into account their history, but not so much the present day.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon