Reply to post: Re: Eugenics - Sometimes a good decision - is what I think.

The incumbent President of the United States of America ran now-banned Facebook ads loaded with Nazi references

CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: Eugenics - Sometimes a good decision - is what I think.

people who volunteer their IQ as a preemptive strike know there's no other reason

Well - I took the Mensa test just to see if I could beat my brother. I did. He is now a professor in the US (1st class honours from Oxford, masters and PhD).

Me? I didn't even complete my HND. IQ tests sre not an indication of ability, it's being able to use pattern-matching to solve a puzzle. I'm very good at some things (technology being one of them) but useless at anything that requires long-term concentration *unless* it's related to technology.

And I'm one of the few techies that can explain technology to non-techies because I have (IMHO) good people skills (and cat skills. And dog skills - anything that needs empathy). My brother, on the other hand...

All of which is a very long-winded way of saying that succeeding at IQ tests measures your ability to pass IQ tests and very little else. The one year I was a member of Mensa I came to the conclusion that, as a group, members of Mensa are some of the most boring people around and, in the main, not good at the whole empathy thing. So I didn't bother renewing.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon