Reply to post: Re: No drivers.

PC printer problems and enraged execs: When the answer to 'Hand over that floppy disk' is 'No'

Antron Argaiv Silver badge

Re: No drivers.

Mine was built, if I am to believe the test page, in 1996, and has printed around 330k pages. It was almost spotless inside. Someone had taken good care of it, but the fuser jammed and busted some gears. Thus the "free to a good home" advert whixh brought me to pick it up.

It replaced a series of inkjets, the last of which, refused to work no matter how many new cartridges you put in it. The family refused to have another inkjet, and I was ready to buy a Brother laser printer, when I remembered I had this one in the basement. Took about a week to get it fixed. All you need is a screwdriver. Everything comes out and the replacemnts drop in. A beautifully designed machine.

Agree the workplace has gone beyond this but we do still have some very similar machines in the office area, not that I'm there very much anymore. What worked for the office last year is often quite a good bet for home this year. My Procurve gigabit switch was a discard from work. As were my personal laptops.

Being nice to the IT people has its benefits.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon