Reply to post: Re: @Flywheel

Adobe about to pull the plug on Creative Cloud freebie 'at-home' access for students

Michael Habel

Re: @Flywheel

I wonder what half of these fools would say if we took the heavy iron out of their server rooms, and replaced them with ca~ 2008 Mac Minis running X-Serve instead? I mean I get it I probably wouldn't buy a 1000$ Belgum Hilti either, if I just wanted to drill a few holes in the wall. When a Milwaukee down at the "Usual Scumbags", for a 10th of that would do me good, and plenty.

Well this stupid argument over Adobe vs. Serif vs. FOSS is just that. Having used Adobes stuff, Affinity Photo, and both Gimp & Darktable / Rawtherapee there is a noticable decline of control. almost to the expence of convinance, Serif are probably most guilty of this. As most of the aforementioned FOSS stuff does a good job of paroting Adobes style. (Gimp, and Darktable), but never quite reaching the plateau.

As a home gamer myself I find nothing inherrently worng with Affinity. (besides the lack of fine justing the tools, or the layout of the program to actually do so. (I must amit I only used the Demo version), and well the best thing One could say about it, is it does what it says on the Tin. But, if we are going to get into OS Wars for a second Affinity is the Macintosh OS7 with the happy clown on the ball pointing to the File you should "open", while Adobe (unironicly), is the Windows 7 level of perfection. The FOSS stuff as always falls somewhere in the middle. neither bad, nor good. About the worst thing I would say about it is the lack of a userbase, or indeed any userbase worth speakig off. I mean how maany books were just witten for Photoshop in the last 20 Years? Now how many Books are out there for gimp?

The Proffesional industy cares little for your reasuringly expensive CMYK ink slingers. what they DO care about is colour accuracy, and that is 95% of Photoshops success right there. Probably where 99% of the home gamer just doesnt have a clue, let alone cares. Which probably goes some way as to explaning why Lightroom (If anything), has eaten Photoshops lunch. Not, that this is Adobes problem. as they still get your money. But. Adobe have built up trust, and a branded quality that will ensure that Pros will stick with Lightroom, and not bugger off to Darktable, even if it is 9x% of the way there. For 99% of all the home gamers. In the Pro space. Colour is king, and Adobe own this space. Hence why we have AdobeRGB which is better than plan old sRGB. Which covers a smaller gamut of the colour space.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon