Reply to post: Re: Master copy

GitHub to replace master with main across its services

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Master copy

As someone else said, what's the harm in making the world a little better?

Does it make the world better? I'm not sure. This spontaneous change in the terminology for describing a significant revision of a Git repo has not been asked for, so far as I can tell. I've not seen placards on TV or heard of campaigns on social media or tech discussion groups saying "Git is evil", "Git must change", etc.

I'm pretty sure James Brown never considered there to be anything wrong with the phrase "master tapes" in a recording studio context.

Making this un-asked for change and then making a bit of publicity of it is a bit like running up to some complete stranger in the street and shouting in their face, "I'm not racist!". It also sounds more than a little bit like white people telling everyone else what they should be offended by. I fear that that's how it's actually coming across. If so, how is that going to make the world a little better? Afterall, actually doing that, person, to person, most definitely wouldn't be making the world a little better. Rather the opposite in fact.

I'm all for tech corporations making a stand against racism. But I can't help but feel that tech corporations saying things like "Want a job?" would be far better, especially given the miserable state of representative employment within the tech industry, a situation totally unaltered by this terminological change.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon