Reply to post: Re: It's an unknown

Whatsapp blamed own users for failure to keep phone number repo off Google searches

NATTtrash

Re: It's an unknown

"Is there any good reason"

Yes. Some years ago I ended up spending over £100 in txt messages as I'd gone over my limit.

OK, so downvote me for being old enough to remember red man size boxes on the corner of streets that enabled you to communicate with people over some distance. Indeed, it took you some effort, and wasn't available every moment you had to do a poo (unless you did a poo in... sorry... too many pints... digressing... ).

But... The world did function back then. We all did get on with our lives. Maybe we were a bit more independent, a bit more resilient, and not that bothered about whether your following thought you looked better without underarm hair.

Maybe the realisation should sink in this is not a FB, WA, or whatever companies problem. They just do what companies have always done: identify an apparent (created or not) need and offer it to their (created or not) target audience/ customers. The issue is that these (potential) customers seem to have the idea that this is an essential, vital, life requirement. If that dawns, the discussion becomes more in line with the substance dependency discussions: who is causing factor: those who offer, or those using it (excessively)? With some (mainly entertainment based) "experiments", asking people to live X period without their mobs, and their apparent inability to do so, I think the conclusion quickly skews to the latter. So the grumpy old person conclusion might be: stop moaning about your own self-inflicted dependency, and change your life (for the better) if that's what it needs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon