Reply to post: Re: I submitted my comment

As Uncle Sam flies spy drones over protest-packed cities, Homeland Security asks the public if that's a good idea

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: I submitted my comment

> Its such a shame you descended into abuse of Europeans [ ... ]

Par for the course.

Stop referring to the US as some kind of evil fascist dictatorship that Europeans are entitled to despise. As a quick recap of history, the US never practiced fascism as a political system, nor did we ever pursue it. That's not what I can say about some European countries, past, or present.

Stop creating this false equivalence between the US as a country, Americans in general, and Donald Trump. And in doing so, stop painting all of us with this broad, toxic brush that misrepresents all of us Americans as deranged and fanatical Trump supporters that are out to destroy the world and trample all over your civil rights and liberties.

You are fully entitled to criticize - 75 years later - the Pax Americana that we imposed on Western Europe after WWII. Just remember that your right to criticize us, and our presence in Europe, was and is safeguarded by our troops, our tanks, our jet fighters and our military personnel.

We, Americans, collectively, have spent untold amounts of our own money protecting Western Europe since 1945. That money did not grow on trees. We could have spent it on our own needs, but we didn't. We gave up having a decent social safety net for our own citizens and residents, complete with national health insurance, and a national pension plan that provides a livable wage. Most, if not all, of the EU member states enjoy these universal benefits, today. We don't.

Feel free to criticize our bloated military expenditures, which are the root cause why we do not have a decent social safety net. But before you do so, take a moment to think what these expenditures are for.

If you believe that EU's civil rights and liberties that are available to you are vastly superior to those available to us Americans in the US, that's great. I envy you. Do not forget that all these liberties that you currently enjoy were made possible by our permanent presence in Western Europe ever since 1945.

Stop manufacturing lies about every single thing that the US does. No-one is perfect. Neither is the EU, or any of its member states.

Case in point, this DHS survey. There is not an iota of evidence that DHS is trying to obtain personally identifiable information from this survey. Or that there is some malignant intention behind the survey. Yet, there are plenty of misinformed statements here, that assert exactly that. Many of the assertions are completely false.

This is not the first time this happens, and it is a recurring topic.

I have personally experienced this toxic Euro-entitled attitude vis-a-vis Americans when I was stationed in Europe as a young US sailor - squid for those in the know - and every single time I traveled to Europe since. I get to read it here every single time there's an article involving something in, or about, the US.

Please stop.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon