Reply to post: Re: Gullibility is no excuse.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes: UK man gets 3 years for torching 4G phone mast over 5G fears

Jamie Jones Silver badge

Re: Gullibility is no excuse.

30/40 plus???? Old?????

Funnily enough, I disagree (and not just because I am "30/40 plus" myself!)

I'm generalising completely for the rest of ths post, but here goes:

Those in their 40's grew up as this technology did. Many people here remember low level coding, and the importance of efficiency.. It was often a success to save one byte!

We grappled with its potentials and restrictions, and generally understand how it works. Even the non-techies at this age have some idea, because they lived through the evolution:

1) No mobile -> Mobile with games and texting -> mobile with internet -> smartphones.

2) Visit library -> use school computer -> get own computer -> get information on cd rom -> dialup services -> dial up internet -> broadband -> wifi

In comparison, to many under 30 -- even the "techies", it's all a black box. Sure, they know how to operate the things, but have absolutely no clue about the technology or principles behind the tech. It's just there. Like air.

And that's even before mentioning the under 30's tendancy to be so embroiled by the tech, they know more about some Z-list celebrity than anything that's actually important.

Stick a 25 year old and a 45 year old in an old garage, and see which one is the best "MacGyver" (google it!)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon