Reply to post:

MacOS on Arm talk intensifies: Just weeks from now, Apple to serve up quarantini with Kalamata golive, reportedly

45RPM Silver badge

I remember the transition from 68k to PowerPC (my SE/30 is sitting next to me, as we speak, awaiting a new hard drive). That went without a hitch, although I grumbled like hell at the time.

I remember the transition from PowerPC to Intel (my G3 and G5 systems are sitting in the loft, although the PSU on the G5 is a little on the noisy side). That went without a hitch, although it felt like the end of the world at the time.

I’m older now. Possibly wiser. Mostly mellower. I know that the switch to Arm will go smoothly, and we’ll all wonder what the fuss was about in five years time. I’m preparing for it already - by not buying a new Mac. I’ll wait until after the transition, thanks. Times have changed. Windows is an anachronism now, for all but gaming. The corporate cool kids all run macOS, the hipsters all run macOS, the server rooms all run Linux, those just want to get stuff done use Chrome. The only hold outs seem to be accountants and gamers (and Windows is very, very, good at gaming as we all know). The point is, who cares if you can’t run Windows on your Mac? You probably weren’t going to game on it anyway (I have a Ryzen powered Windows 10 box for the few occasions when I fancy playing games - and most people have a games console), so Mac’s ability to run Windows is neither here nor there.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon