Reply to post: Re: Do NOT install Quant browser extension!

Franco-German cloud framework floated to protect European's data from foreign tech firms slurpage

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Do NOT install Quant browser extension!

You mean this one:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/qwantcom-for-firefox/?src=search

Description: "Qwant is the European search engine that does not track you. This extension makes Qwant your default search engine and homepage as well as allowing you to easily extend Firefox Tracking Protection to the whole Web."

And you're saying it set Qwant as the default search engine, set the homepage to Qwant and change the tracking protection to its own?

So it does exactly what it says it does???

@"There is no need for this behaviour just to add a search engine, avoid this malware!"

Agreed true, goto Qwant.com, click on the search bar and click "add qwant to search engines". You don't need to have their home page and tracking protection.

Playing with Qwant maps, I would much prefer them to use Here maps (maps.here.com). I wonder if they can cross license? Here maps has better points of interest data, better satellite maps and better detail display.

I have to say I've only played with it for a couple of days, but it does seem impressive. But the maps though, full of the same bad choices Google made. Google stripped off as much details as possible in their maps, the resulting map is totally f*ing useless for finding anything, but it is very aesthetic pleasing as a piece of artwork.

Both openstreetmaps and maps.Here.com make a more usable map.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon