Reply to post: Re: I'd rather like that function on my phone

There's always a coronavirus angle these days: Honor intros new smartphone with built-in temperature sensor

doublelayer Silver badge

Re: I'd rather like that function on my phone

I don't think it does that. An infrared sensor usually needs to measure the temperature of a specific object in my very limited experience. If you measure the temperature of something with sunlight on it or with an air vent near it, it won't reflect room temperature. Maybe it would work for items outside the paths of those things, but I'm not sure.

I wonder how tricky software support for that will be. I once had a phone with a temperature/humidity sensor in it (Samsung Galaxy Note 3 FYI), which was meant for room temperature. I didn't have much of a use for it and that was quite a good thing because I don't know how to use it. There wasn't any app I could find supporting the sensor because, as far as I can tell, only Samsung ever put them into phones and not that many. I did find an API in AOSP that was supposed to be used but I got bored before writing a basic reader app with it. I hope the manufacturer includes the app for this because there's probably nothing else that can read from the sensor.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon