Reply to post: Trademark infringement has fascinating history

Repair store faces hefty legal bill after losing David and Goliath fight with Apple over replacement iPhone screens

Ex IBMer

Trademark infringement has fascinating history

Even from the article, it is clear that this is a simple trademark problem.

All but one of the screens had an apple logo - Apple claimed that they were counterfeit. That's a trademark issue right there, and you can't win.

I don';t believe that right to repair should be confused by trademark infringement issues.

""The core of the case is the right of repairers to access spare parts without Apple approval," wrote Maja van der Velden, informatics professor at the University of Oslo, in a blog post last year. "This right is under attack by Apple’s drive to control how and whom can repair the Apple products you own.""

I used to work in the Trademarks office here in Australia, and during boring nights doing tape backups in the 90's I used to read the physical bound historical Trademarks Journals. They had fascinating legal cases. Even if its repaired, its not genuine. A similar trademark case law comes from the early 1900's, when companies were 'repairing' tyres by stripping out the metal bead from the rim, and mounding a new tyre around that. The only original component was the metal tyre. That was also found to be infringement.

It would be much safer, for them to manufacture screens that were compatible, have no logos and then there would be no issues at all.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon