Reply to post: Re: "It solves a problem that people have."

Devuan Beowulf 3.0 release continues to resist the Debian fork's Grendel – systemd

Claptrap314 Silver badge

Re: "It solves a problem that people have."

Sysvinit executes scripts in lexigraphical order. This was dumb at the time, but really, really hard to change. There is tribal knowledge about what sort of things should have what sort of numeric prefixes which types of services should have. This works well enough that I've never heard any complaints about it except the obvious theoretical concerns.

Sysvinit executes all tasks in a serial fashion. While this is no big deal on average, server init time is quite important in a number of scenarios (especially the "serverless" setups).

The start/stop/restart/status pattern is clunky. Personally, I wonder if the real problem here is the use of bash when ruby, python, and perl are nigh-universal.

This is what I hear from my sysadmin friends. What I know about sysvinit is that I were asked to jump in and modify the init scripts, I feel perfectly comfortable that I can learn everything I need by studying they directory layout and the content of a few init scripts. The setup is _simple_. It is well contained.

Systemd, on the other hand was created "because init scripts are hard". If that is your justification for replacing process 1 with the Blob, I don't want you anywhere near my computer. Ever.

The recent failure for random happened because one of their devs decided to roll their own random number generator, and did not even deign to mix in the kernel-provided one. That this made it past their code reviews & shipped make it clear that they are a bunch of arrogant fools.

I really don't care what kind of problems you think systemd is solving for you. When things like the above are going on, you can be assured that systemd is creating problems that you really, really don't want to have in the end.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon