Reply to post: Re: "Yes, Anon activists are back."

As anti-brutality protests fill streets of American cities, netizens cram police app with K-Pop, airwaves with NWA

LucreLout

Re: "Yes, Anon activists are back."

The 3 others that didn't intervene _should_ be facing "accessory after the fact" charges.

I can't see how.

Floyd had been resisting arrest by refusing to be placed in the police car for a full 5 minutes before the murdering neck-kneeler even arrived on scene. Given that 2 of the 3 others had been unable to restrain him prior to backup arriving, it is not reasonable to then expect one of them to stop their restraint to remove anothers, because then you're right back into the inability to restrain him part.

The guy kneeling on Floyd's neck is rightly facing a very serious charge, but I can't see how the other officers are to blame. They would be if there was no resistance, sure, but given the extensive and likely exhausting and frightening resistance, I don't see that they can be blamed. I'm not a weak guy, but even with him in handcuffs, 2 of me would be utterly exhausted and probably terrified after several minutes of trying to make him comply with instructions he'd decided he wasn't going to comply with.

To be clear, Floyd absolutely should have been restrained when he began resisting, but he absolutely should not have had someone kneeling on his neck up to the point of losing consciousness and what must have been several minutes beyond. That is inexcusable and could only predictably lead to death.

[For evidence of resistance and its length, see any timeline in any reputable news outlet - they're all pretty clear on it]

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon