Reply to post: Re: I get that the cameras may not have picked out the truck...

Watch an oblivious Tesla Model 3 smash into an overturned truck on a highway 'while under Autopilot'

ThatOne Silver badge

Re: I get that the cameras may not have picked out the truck...

> A cheap & easy fix is small radar reflectors on all vehicles

What about trees, and containers, trailers, piles of snow or fallen rocks, various animals, cargo fallen off a truck, truck fallen off a bridge and showing us a side nobody had thought to place reflectors on (belly)? Not to mention it would take decades for all existing vehicles to be replaced with AI-friendly ones, waving little warning flags.

While I agree with your analysis, the solution isn't to try to make the world Artificial Idiot-proof, that would be unrealistic at best. The advantage of cars is their versatility, if they need a carefully prepared environment to move they become - trains.

IMHO the only solution is, much as you don't let 2-year olds drive, not to trust AI with the wheel until it has (one day, eventually) become intelligent and wise enough. Unfortunately we're not anywhere near yet, yet marketing will keep claiming any system that can drive a straight line in sunny weather is "intelligent" enough to face anything the road throws at it, and we will keep being served headlines like "Autonomous car plows into circus elephant"...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon