Reply to post: Re: The real reason for fairly small line lengths

80-characters-per-line limits should be terminal, says Linux kernel chief Linus Torvalds

Martin Gregorie

Re: The real reason for fairly small line lengths

Isn't that the exact crux of Linus's argument?

Seems to be, BUT I've yet to see an editor that can auto-wrap a 100-200 char line of CODE and still leave it readable in the context of the rest of the screenful.

Like Linus, I'm a microemacs fan. Microemacs 4.00 does an excellent job of wrapping plain text and has a reasonable go at wrapping code: at least the wrapped part of the line keeps the same indent level, but I still find that I often need to manually edit the wrapped line to keep the code neat, so this is not (yet) a solved problem.

I normally program with two 80x24 console windows for convenience (one for source editing , the other for compiling & testing, manpage lookups etc. Currently I'm using a Lenovo T440 with a 1600x900 screen, so the pair of consoles can have an easily readable character size and still sit side by side with no overlap. So, by itself this physical setup is a good argument for using 80x24 edit windows, at least in my usual programming environment.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon