Reply to post: Re: Basically tells you all you need to know about Stack Overflow users...

In Rust, we lust: Security-focused super-C++ language still most loved among Stack Overflow denizens

bombastic bob Silver badge
Meh

Re: Basically tells you all you need to know about Stack Overflow users...

According to the article: Those taking the survey are not a particularly diverse group

There is more than one kind of 'diversity' in my view, particularly when doing a sample for surveys, which is actually more along the lines of "representative sample" vs "whatever they had". If the sample represents Stack Overflow, then I suppose it MIGHT be a good survey.

But as for programming languages in general, I tend to believe TIOBE, if for no other reason than they've been doing this a while and have a pretty scientific way [it seems] of getting programming lingo popularity out of whatever data set they use. interestingly, C jumped over Java a bit this month (Java was neck/neck #1 vs C #2 for quite a while again) and so Java and C run close to one another in popularity and continue to do so.

As for Rust it was down at 21 on the TIOBE index, with a 0.7% rating. By comparison, C is around 17% and Java around 16.3%. Next in line are Python (~9.1%), C++ (disappointing 6.1%), and C-pound (4.3%). javascript is around 2.7%. And so on [for others you can visit tiobe.com/tiobe-index - pasting a link brought up CAPTCHA so I stated it as text instead].

In any case when you see survey results that are "this different" it makes you wonder how accurate the survey is.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon