Reply to post:

5G mast set aflame in leafy Liverpool district, half an hour's walk from Penny Lane

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Quote: "The Oxford dictionary defines Gender as that pertaining to be either Male or Female."

No it doesn't, I suggest you go read the OED. The only mention of males and females together: Males or females viewed as a group it states these = SEX, not gender.

The OED does mention 'gender' was used incorrectly (and interchangeably for the word 'sex'), from mid last century, but this was in cases when 'sex' should have been used instead. This was due to 'sex' becoming more associated with the act of sex, rather than the sexes.

I'm in my 50s and I remember 'gender' being used in classes and in text books when referencing biological sexes, i.e. male and female, but this was an aberration at the time, and an incorrect use of the word 'gender'. (Something I only found out about recently).

I was one of those people who objected to the use of 'gender' being used to describe anything other than male or female, because that's what I was taught at school.

But I was wrong! One day I decided to read up on the subject, and realised that for a few years, perhaps decades, at least in the UK, gender was being used incorrectly in classes and in text books.

You need to do a find and replace in your head, if anything relates to biological male and female, then the word 'sex' should replace 'gender'. Gender is not the same as biological sex.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon