Reply to post:

Apple promises third, no, fourth, er, fifth time's a charm when it comes to macOS Catalina: 10.15.5 now out

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

"Peripherals like mice, keyboards and printers stopped working" - my Samsung printer stopped printing double-sided, so I tried to upgrade the Samsung drivers. They would not install, as HP (who now own Samsung's printer arm and provide "support") had not signed them. Only option was to disable the kernel mode security protection and install that way (or deal with a string of security warnings during installation and first use of the printer). However, even that didn't help as one part of the driver just crashed when printing. HP finally fixed this about 2 days ago. I don't see this as an Apple issue.

"Users were constantly harassed by login requests" - do you mean the additional security messages like "LibreOffice would like to access your documents" the first time you ran a non-Apple app after the upgrade? If so, it's hardly "constant" - just once for each protected area for each app. Sure, it would be nice for "trusted" third-party apps not to have to go through this, but it's hardly "harassment" and, personally, I like the fact that any malware that gets on the machine is going to find it hard to access any of my content.

"updates didn’t update" - I've never seen that.

Sure, it's not perfect and there were some silly little things that should not have got out the door. However, overall I like the changes that have allowed tighter interaction between the various systems that I have.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon