Reply to post: But is it usable?

Microsoft brings WinUI to desktop apps: It's a landmark for Windows development, but it has taken far too long

JeffL99

But is it usable?

Based on the other comments, I'm likely singing to the choir here, but as a developer in charge of some important applications, I don't understand how these controls are usable in the business world.

I have two types of users, those who put data into the system and those who use it. The data entry people want to be able to use the UI with the keyboard without having to grab the mouse constantly, and the users of the data want to be able to see as much as possible on the screen so they can easily get to what they need.

WinUI, like the UWP components before them, fail in both of these respects. You don't have to take my word for it, open up one of Microsoft's own UWP apps like Mail or Microsoft To Do, and then try composing an email using only the keyboard. Or count how many lines/items on the screen you get on the screen at once, compared to this web page you're reading now.

I and others have been "providing feedback" on this concern for years, and we get back nothing but radio silence. And then they wonder why we just keep using Win32 or building web apps instead.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon