Reply to post: Re: mythical Year Of Linux On the Desktop comes

Linus Torvalds drops Intel and adopts 32-core AMD Ryzen Threadripper on personal PC

Snake Silver badge

Re: mythical Year Of Linux On the Desktop comes

The bits of Microsoft that make $$$ don't care what OS you are using as long as you pay your subscription

Exactly. With respect, I'm tired of hearing that Microsoft, somehow, pulls a magic hypnosis session on anyone and everyone who will bother to look and somehow buy/stay with Microsoft only because of the brainwashing.

People and industries stay with Microsoft products because the products gets work done. Be it Windows, Office365 or other systems, "The Year of the Linux Desktop" will *NEVER* happen until someone in FOSS stops concentrating exclusively on the OS quality and brings the entire application ecosystem up to a level that not a single compromise in productivity needs to be made by switching over.

That is the ONLY measurement that companies, and professionals using systems worldwide, care about: the fact that a piece of FOSS software is free is meaningless if it doesn't provide an efficient workflow to get their work accomplished.

Go on to YouTube and listen to professionals talk about their jobs, people!!! They *don't* say "Oh, this free software is going to save me money and I'm helping support freedom!"; they ALL say "My workflow", "output quality", 'difficulty in switching and impact on my productivity", "quality of tools", "features to get my job done"...etc etc etc.

It's all they care about: Time is Money. And until FOSS delivers every bit of productivity that the quality paid solutions do, almost nobody is going to switch. Davinci Resolve has done it, offered an extremely powerful video system that is now putting Adobe Premier in the boxing ring, and on the ropes, but (sadly) it seems to be an outlier. GIMP doesn't compare to Photoshop, forget the dreams - no hard-core paid imaging professional falls back on GIMP as their primary editor, unlike Photoshop. No industry is going to drop Microsoft unless, and until, every bit of productivity software that they depend upon daily is up and running on Linux, with absolutely no compromises in both performance AND support - because businesses only care about getting things done, not about taking lots of time to make it work to get to that point.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon