Reply to post: Re: Newport is not all that

Windows invokes Sgrîn Las Marwolaeth upon Newport

Martin an gof Silver badge

Re: Newport is not all that

I visit Newport station on a fairly regular basis and used to before the new terminal. The new building is cold and draughty at the best of times, let alone the platforms themselves. To be honest, I preferred the old layout, but the worst part with the new layout? There are no short-term parking bays around the back. The car park at the rear is large (well, not at the moment but that's another story) and easily accessible if you know which road to go down but it's long-term pay-and-display only, except for a couple of drop-off bays.

The free short-term bays are around the "front", so if I'm picking someone up I can pull in and wait for up to 20 minutes, even smile nicely at the person on the gate and help carry bags, but the front is in the middle of a 20mph one-way system and while from my direction getting in is almost as easy as getting to the back, getting back out again involves about a half a mile around the one-way system, crossing the same two pedestrian crossings twice (once in each direction) and navigating a roundabout where you have to stay hard right to get where I need to go, but the lane markings don't make that at all obvious, so there are always traffic conflicts, cars ending up in the bus lane, or unintentionally heading for a car park.

And you don't get to walk into the station past the slightly unusual sculpture.

M.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon