Reply to post: Re: That API is public

We're going underground, and this time it's not an inebriated banker crapping themselves, but Transport for London

JimboSmith Silver badge

Re: That API is public

I get my platform numbers using another search platform and not NRE - see my other post. At certain london terminus there is only one platform used for a particular service. The gates are therefore electronically locked until the incoming train has been emptied.

At a tube station I use fairly frequently on my way into work there was a newly installed advertising screen. It was cycling through the adverts but I felt sorry for those people who had paid for them. In the centre of the screen was a message from Windows (7 I think) asking if the owner of the machine wanted to connect to a nearby network. I had a picture of that but my SD card died and the picture with it.

At one (ex Silverlink now) Overground station they replaced the easily read at an angle and at a distance train indicators. They were replaced with harder to read ones but more of them to compensate. These incorporated a time display so they dispensed with the clocks on the Platforms too. These displays were switched on after installation showing a unique IP address on each one (wish I'd had my camera/phone) as well as version info etc. I noticed somebody copying down the IP addresses and I'm fairly confident he wasn't connected to the station redesign team. When these were showing all that info again a year or so later after an outage the IP address was now masked with XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX .

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon