Reply to post: The reality of FTTP

Openreach tells El Reg it'll kill off copper sales in 118 UK locations next year

Lorribot

The reality of FTTP

For those that have yet to experience it, OpenReach's FTTP offering has two cables to the premise and Fibre and and a Copper one in the same bit of cable in the drop line from the pole or the equivilent under ground connection.

Most ISPs will offer either Phone and Broadband or just Broadband, (BT insist on phone and Broadband). So you still have a POTS available and I asume you could if you chose just have that you just wont have the coice of ADSL even if you live 200M away from the exchange and 20/1Mb is ok for you.

Most ISPs do offer range of speeds from 100 up to 300 ( though a 1Gb is available in some areas.

I would assume that the 75% is the proportion of new sales.

This could be an issue for those on lower pay, but in reality when I moved from FTTC to FTTP, I just droped the anytime bit on the phone part and it was actually cheaper to go from 13/0.5 Mb/s to 150/30 Mb/s with BT (24 month discount) than stay with PlusNet (no FTTP offering), Zen had a similar priced Internet only deal available so would likely have gone with them (not known for being cheap but a quality ISP) and we all have mobiles these days anyway.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon