Reply to post: Let's start a new fad

Users of Will.i.am's Wink IoT hub ask 'Where is the love?' as they're asked to pay for a new subscription service

Cynic_999

Let's start a new fad

The time has just about arrived where I think the market is ripe for the introduction of "Cloud-free" devices. These would be items that do not need to connect to someone else's server - or indeed the Internet to do things that are only needed to be controlled locally. And which you own 100% and never update themselves.

So let's start a market for the "Cloud free" catch-phrase.

My cloud-free, disconnected and decidedly unsmart light switch has controlled my room lighting perfectly for decades. With no subscription fees or ToS. And it works even if my phone battery is flat or my WiFi is down. Albeit I have to stand up and walk to the wall to operate it - but in most cases the fact that I am walking through the doorway is the very reason I want to change the lighting. My doorbell is also able to instantly signal the fact that there is someone at the door without routing the signal via a server 5000 miles away. (Well, not instant - the signal takes nearly 0.06 uS to get from button to bell).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon