Reply to post: More Bullsh*tting Customers

Behold: The ghastly, preening, lesser-spotted Incredible Bullsh*tting Customer

staringatclouds

More Bullsh*tting Customers

I once was called to a client back in the days when I was desperate for work & did hardware calls.

They had a dead server, well it was a Windows NT PC they used as a server.

The server was situated on a desk in the middle of the office & was never turned off, but one day it just died.

They did a lot of grinding being an auto repair shop & there was a high concentration of metal dust in the case, which I dutifully hoovered out, but it still wouldn't turn on so I looked at the power supply.

Took out the PSU, tipped it on it's side & a large pile of highly conductive metal dust started to fall out, so I replaced the PSU & the machine started, I advised the client to get an enclosure to filter the dust, job done, I thought.

Then they refused to pay, saying I'd walked off site with a CD containing a reference database for parts & they weren't paying until they got it back.

I hadn't taken anything off their site I even left them the dead PSU to remind them about the dust problem.

This "he said, she said" continued for months until eventually the CD in question was found in the clients desk drawer.

It turns out someone installed some freebie ISO mounting software on the server & shared out an ISO of the CD over their network, putting the original CD in a safe place.

Because the server was never turned off they didn't put the ISO mounting & sharing instructions in the autoexec either, it all had to be done manually from a logged on account, it wasn't documented anywhere, so this was forgotten.

I let them figure out how to mount & share the ISO file.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon