Reply to post: Vulnerabilities? What vulnerabilities?

Australian contact-tracing app sent no data to contact-tracers for at least ten days after hurried launch

Magani
Black Helicopters

Vulnerabilities? What vulnerabilities?

So walking around, keeping 1.5m from everyone, with your Bluetooth on is safe? A quick delve into your favourite search engine will show you that it isn't. Googleing for 'bluetooth android vulnerability 2020' brought up a mere 1 million+ hits (I didn't worry about iPhones; they've got their own CovidSafe problems).

While you're here, can someone explain how this works?

1. According to their blurb, When the app recognises another user, it notes the date, time, distance and duration of the contact and the other user’s reference code. AFAIK, BT works through walls. I was unaware that viruses could travel through them though. Anyone for a host of false positives?

2. I found the statement by our PM to be rather disingenuous when he stated early on that the data would be held in Oz, hence giving all true blue Aussies a warm fuzzy feeling. He failed (at that time) to state that it was with AWS, a decidedly US company. As has been stated earlier, the US TLAgencies can grab anything they want without much hindrance from a company with US roots. Our beloved pollies also stated that not even a court order could get the data released to our gummint, but as a member of Five Eyes, Shirley they can get it (CLOUD Act), and hand it back to Peter Dutton, MP (Minister for keeping us safe from overseas nasties) without having to bother with any legalities.

Of course they'd never stoop to such things would they?.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon