Reply to post: Re: your myopia perspective may vary.

The iMac at 22: How the computer 'too odd to succeed' changed everything ... for Apple, at least

Mage Silver badge

Re: your myopia perspective may vary.

Maybe in the USA.

I've never seen an Internet cafe that used Apple. All far cheaper PC clones. I've travelled in the UK, Ireland, Switzerland, Israel and the USA in the original iMac era. Loads of other European countries in the 21st C.

Also it was ISPs and the creation of Web sites that boosted the Internet. A small proportion of Internet users outside of USA schools used ANY sort of Mac. Internet web usage had already boomed 3 to 4 years before the 1998 release of the iMac. Windows 98 already was selling well.

The iMac for OSX only shared the name. There is also little relationship other than the GUI with earlier Mac OS. OS X came out in 2001 and by 2003 had a small market share compared to XP. Belatedly in 2006 the Mac including the iMac changed to the x86 instead of the Power PC. Originally the Mac had used the 68000 family.

All the design studios and graphic printing places I knew used real Macs. Ones where you could choose the screen and have more I/O than a phone line two USB ports and

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon