Reply to post: Re: Sophie Wilson post about early ARM history from 1988

Happy birthday, ARM1. It is 35 years since Britain's Acorn RISC Machine chip sipped power for the first time

Martin an gof Silver badge

Re: Sophie Wilson post about early ARM history from 1988

That brings back memories. I remember someone posting it on the polytechnic's message board system (whatever it was called - the poly had a VAX8600 IIRC as well as a whole bunch of smaller ones). Must have been shortly after it was posted to usenet judging by that date - I didn't have usenet in those days.

I remember being terribly impressed by the poster - surely he must have had personal contact with Roger! Turns out not, but Jan Paxton had actually had a part in writing some commercial terminal software for the Archimedes, which I later went on to buy when I got my modem and was able to remote-in to the poly's computer in order to work on assignments from home, on mum & dad's phone bill :-)

It was Jan who introduced me to the Archimedes demo scene. I spent hours watching those things!

I also remember the time - not long afterwards - when I got *very* confused when someone insisted on referring to Sophie Wilson and assumed I knew who she was.

I still think the sale to Softbank was wrong...

M.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon