Reply to post: And they have also totally destroyed Samsung printers

Florida man might just stick it to HP for injecting sneaky DRM update into his printers that rejected non-HP ink

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

And they have also totally destroyed Samsung printers

My Samsung multi-function colour laser has done about 7,000 pages out of it's expected service life of at least 100,000.

It looks like I'm going to have to replace it after HP purchased Samsung. It no longer prints properly under Catalina on the Mac - most features are ok, but Airprint support for duplex printing doesn't work. No problem, I though, check for firmware updates and drivers.

There is a firmware update. It fails to install with a message along the lines of "invalid firmware".

There are drivers. They also fail to install as HP have not digitally signed the components, meaning the OS does not allow the installer or the installed executables to run. You can work round this by temporarily disabling kernel mode security (they really think that's acceptable?), but even that doesn't help as the driver just reports "filter error" when you try to print anything.

The "generic" Samsung driver is also no help. It supports double-sided printing, but does not allow B&W only!

Looks like my replacement will by Kyocera or Brother!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon