Reply to post: Re: Here in Belgium...

UK snubs Apple-Google coronavirus app API, insists on British control of data, promises to protect privacy

David Shaw

Re: Here in Belgium...

Hello Belgium, typing from Italy here, we can't yet see any travel, there are few planes, zero hotels

lockdown is being relaxed week by week starting next week, but the best offer is a travel within the same region (in my case Lombardy), and only occasionally to the neighbouring region (eg Piedmont) - if we go to Piedmont (which I can see from my window) then I will need all the certificates to travel, something to convince the military police (carabinieri), flying squad (pol-strada), police (polizia), local police (polizia locali, urbani, regionali, communale), tax-police (guardia di finanza) and forest police (really), any whom of which might demand WHY you are outside the home region?

I suppose as Italy has double the number of police-type officials than the UK, I can see why UK might be going for invasive digital technologies, UK plod don't do road-blocks, rather a lot of reliance on bulk-personal-datasets with fuzzy boundaries, rather overshared in teh past.

Italian beaches are getting ready to open, in Marche, Liguria etc - but it might just be for local consumption (from that actual region) law isn't yet clear, but might need 14 days iolation/quarantine after travel, there was a mention that any post-holiday isolation would be taken from annual holidays, and not paid otherwise.

back to Apple, has anyone else noticed how iOS devices are continuing to broadcast a Wi-Fi sharing hotspot from a fruity device with a SIM, even if said hotspot is turned OFF in Mobile Data, and OFF in Family Sharing. it is able to be turned ON, remotely, by any other apple device or Desktop that has same Apple ID... sounds like it is OFF in the same way that 'hiding' an SSID in Wi-Fi has little effect upon security.

at least their ultra-wide-band beacon in the newer iPhones is probably off, maybe

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon