Reply to post:

Microsoft decrees that all high-school IT teachers were wrong: Double spaces now flagged as typos in Word

jake Silver badge

That's why the AP book's stored where I can't see it.

It's also why when I'm typing, I usually type in vi on a so-called "dumb" terminal with a model M keybr0ad. I know of no combination that allows me to put my thoughts into a computer faster and with fewer distractions. If needs be, I'll clean up what I've written and put it into the format that is expected by the intended reader AFTER I've written it ... Doesn't matter if it's a post here on ElReg, a contract, a bill of sale, a dead-tree letter to MeDearOldMum, a nasty email to the local News station about their latest cock-up (or my congress critter about the same), one of the books I'm supposedly writing, or whatever I'm hacking on in the kernel at the moment. Etc. It all starts in vi. ASCII can be imported into anything as I see fit. Nice, clean, simple.

That's not to say my copy of vi is bone stock, it's not. In fact, it's rather heavily customized. But that'll happen when a hacker's been using a tool for a few decades ... It's MY copy of vi, and it works the way I want it to work. Multibillion dollar international advertising machines can go jump ... they have absolutely zero clues about how I use my tools. And from what I could see back when I tried to make sense of the MSDN (starting in the year dot, '92, until I told 'em to bugger off in around 2005), they don't want to know, either. They don't care. They know my needs better than I do, apparently. Fuck 'em.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon