Reply to post:

Cloudflare goes retro with COBOL delivery service. Older coders: Who's laughing now? Turns out we're still vital

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Have an upvote. People hated my hate on COBOL above, so I'd be happy to share some more!

The programming gods are the good people that squeeze complex algorithms into small, human readable and elegant code. No programming god, therefore, ever achieved godhood using COBOL. It's just too verbose, rather like this post of mine. Even in 1980 there were a raft of much more capable languages readily available, with better support for complex data structures. B and Fortran for two.

COBOL has just two data types. The limited options and constructs in COBOL have some advantages - there are fewer opportunities for syntax and type mismatch errors. Strong typing and pre-declaring everything while not convenient, are one of the things I like about C as well. So there are some upsides to it.

And then, the downsides. It's terrible for writing quick, trivial tools. The prevalence of GOTO statements have every programming academic of the last 60 years cursing its existence. The interoperability is on a good day, poor. The supposed "COmmon" language, actually, isn't common at all with literally dozens of dialects in circulation with minor differences. The Business (upper-case B) emphasis element seems to be code for printing consultants Business' revenue.

You know those awful programs that prevail in your business, the ones mashed up in Excel and VBA you can't get rid of without spending money on doing them properly? COBOL was the Excel/VBA mash up of it's day, and like a bad rash, you can't easily get rid of it.

Beer time :-P

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon