Reply to post: Re: Luxury

A paper clip, a spool of phone wire and a recalcitrant RS-232 line: Going MacGyver in the wonderful world of hotel IT

John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Luxury

1985, a technical college in darkest Surrey, at the end of the lesson. Lecturer says "...and next week I will tell you about punched tape, which nobody has used for years."

The not only did you prove him wrong, put paper tape was still in fairly common use back then. Only a few years earlier I completed my GCE A level Computer studies course. Much of our work was done on a teletype with an acoustic modem link to the local university. Programs written out to punched tape so they could be uploaded and run after hours on the "cheap rate" phone calls by the teacher who remained back late (occasionally with a some of us students). A couple years earlier, we were typing out 5 hole punched tape which was sent to the local town hall to run on their system via an adapter, because they had modern 8 hole readers. 10 years after that, I was doing a job for a factory with CNC machines. Some had RS-232 back to the office for programming. Some used floppies. Most used paper tape.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon