Reply to post: Re: Crooks will use this to play on people's worries

So how do the coronavirus smartphone tracking apps actually work and should you download one to help?

LucreLout

Re: Crooks will use this to play on people's worries

If a million or so people decided to ignore lockdown there's no way the civil authorities in any country could cope, the system would be overwhelmed.

Which is where the Italian deterrent level sentencing comes into play. Then you come down hard on the first transgressors and everyone else thinking about how much fun a riot or breaking lockdown would be stops thinking about it in terms of fun and starts thinking that they don't fancy 3 years as someones prison wife.

how many months of lockdown will people tolerate before civil disturbance explodes?

Rather a lot as it happens. Provided you remove the initiating neds from circulation on day one and hit them hard (jail for years not fines they won't pay).

My Mum is in her 80s and lives in another country, it will be months before I can see her again.

I wish her all the best, and hope you are able to meet again at the other end of this.

Easy to say, but I really don't think society as a whole will tolerate it.

There's no such thing as society really, just individual men & women and families. Provided you clear away the rabblerousers pronto then you'll find the majority of people simply go along with it. Its particularly helpful if you then frame it in terms of doing your bit for the country, which is something people can feel is contributing.

We need a realistic medium-term plan to get out of this, even if we can't cure or palliate the effects of the virus, the alternative is likely to be worse.

I think we'll see a slackening of the lock down by end of summer, but it won't feel much like it to people. The public transport and workplaces are unlikely to resume normal operation, and I can't see them allowing pubs, restaurants, cinemas etc to reopen. Its easy to keep the old folk in their homes when there's nothing out there for them to do, but as soon as the pubs are back you've changed the game.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon