Reply to post:

Doom Eternal: Reboot sequel is cluttered but we're only here for the rippin' and the tearin'

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Regarding the low ammo supply, I recall from a 1995 guide on how to make a good Doom.WAD, including the observation that making a player hurt for ammo completely is not fun. Making a particular type of ammo rare in certain areas is fun, for it requires improvisation where you can't use the ideal tool for the job all the time.

Bethesda obviously didn't read that guide if you have to fall back to hand-to-hand too much. On the plus side, Quest Markers while superficially "not doom", for those that remember Doom before memorising all of the maps; the horrible 90-minutes+ sessions looking for a switch with no enemies to deal with. Such circumstances usually resulted in typing in IDSPISPOPD, IDCLIP or maybe even IDCLEVxx. Doom E3M6 and E3M7 were specially bad for this - and almost all of Doom 2 past M8 or 9 ish. Hexen, with it's massive sprawling hubs was even worse in this regard.

A lot of reviews slated Doom3. Give it a go. Really, the only thing wrong with it is the sucky multiplayer, that a lot of reviewers hated on. The singleplayer campaign is very decent even if very linear.

ID used to also make a point of Linux releases of everything, as well as source code. Getting rather annoyed by Bethesda/ID's new policy of Windows only. The Doom 3 source is a work of art and a shining example of elegant coding practise. That a mere mortal like me can not only open it but read and understand significant chunks of it is a real achievement. Well worth learning from. I would hazard a guess with how glitchy Bethesda games are in general the more recent attempts are not nearly so elegant.

There is also the not so minor point, that any idiot 12 year old (myself included) could pick up Doom, a wad editor and dehacked to make their own content; arguably, more fun than the game itself. Shotguns with reload times faster than the chaingun. Or altering sprite sequences so that enemies transmogrify from one species to another on eliminating them. Let's be honest you could throw the dev tools out in the open for any title from the last 15 years and not be able to get started with such fun nearly so easily.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon