Reply to post: Re: Crooks will use this to play on people's worries

So how do the coronavirus smartphone tracking apps actually work and should you download one to help?

LucreLout

Re: Crooks will use this to play on people's worries

How long before the first fake "tracing" apps loaded with malware appear?

It's all fake already, isn't it?

I mean, if you live in a tiny village, this may be marginally more effective than a note in the corner shop window, but there its usefulness seems to end.

I take the train to work, when work resumes, which is very close proximity to 1000 strangers per day. My colleagues do the same. Thats before several trains try to disembark at the same time in the station, and before you get several thousand people waiting on the concourse for the train home. Unless trains will only allow about 40 or 50 people to board, and they are guaranteed to run tot he minute so there's no cramming the station ahead of time, social distancing on them will be impossible.

Then we get to the same office, where if we are to socially distance ourselves, only 1/6th of my crew could attend on a given day. Queuing 2 meters apart, even a meter apart isn't going to happen in London as there's not the pavement space to allow it.

My phone would simply be sending daily amber and red warnings for the contacts I'd have. Any attempt at resuming normal life will render lockdown worthless - if my train involves a cast of thousands, the additional risk of a hundred in the pub is limited, or the restaurant, or the cinema.

As I've been saying from the start, lockdown or some flavor of it will be with us until we're all vaccinated or until there are effective treatments to significantly reduce the death rate.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon