Reply to post: Lucky 13

Apollo 13 set off into space 50 years ago today. An ignored change order ensured it did not make it to the Moon...

IceC0ld

Lucky 13

I watched the drama unfold on the TV, a 12 yo, with zero understanding of how they had actually managed to do any of the rocket stuff, but absolutely mesmerised by it all since Apollo 8 and Christmas 1968 when they had orbited the moon, have watched the movie, and I still got goosebumps when things went wrong.

Now, reading this and discovering just how LITTLE a failure can cascade into one almighty clusterfuck, it is sort of mindblowing just how hard they worked to get the crew back alive, makes you wonder what else occurred that caused loss of life through tiny errors that were compounded by ongoing acceptance of the faults ?

what was that quote ? if the Saturn V was 'only' 99% good, it would still mean there were 000's of dud parts in the beast

to ME, the space exploration game IS important, but I can also see that people may call it out as there are still people within the USA without the most basic requirements for the most basic of a reasonable survival, but I would hope that if we DO finally gain access to the STARS, that it WILL make a difference here on earth / home

FFS, FIFTY years, feels like it was only a few years ago, wondering what it would be like in the 21st Century, now we are 20 years in, and I, for one, wouldn't mind going back there right now :o)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon