Reply to post: Re: A couple of points to note

Ofcom waves DAB radio licences under local broadcasters' noses as FM switchoff debate smoulders again

Barrie Shepherd

Re: A couple of points to note

"Agree with other commenters here about OFCOM. Their remit seems to be to do the government's bidding rather than representing spectrum users."

The problem, as I see it, is that the only 'spectrum users' that OFCOM understand are the ones paying them money, or potentially could be paying more money. Joe public is not considered a 'user' just a receiver!

DAB in a moving vehicle is really annoying. The total cut out (which always occurs at some interesting part of the programme) During the drive (when I could), of the 2 miles to my local station there were 4 200m sections of the road where the signal always blanked out two at traffic lights where you are invariably stopped - so the only positive about DAB is that it is consistent. FM may get scratchy but it never just collapses in a heap of silence.

My other gripe is that the DAB broadcasters do not support TA (Traffic Alerts) - something very useful when on a long journey.

In a domestic setting DAB's processing delays, in different suppliers equipment, means that it is no longer possible to have the radio on in two or three rooms at a time as they are all out of sync.

The DAB signal is more sensitive to local movement, short term fading and multi-path reflection because it is not from 'many local transmitters' but, in my case, is from a mast on a hill 30 odd miles away.

.....and don't get me going on general DAB audio quality...........

Rant over!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon