Reply to post: Was never a problem for me

Real-time tragedy: Dumb deletion leaves librarian red-faced and fails to nix teenage kicks on the school network

VicMortimer Silver badge

Was never a problem for me

Back in junior high school, I essentially ran the computer lab. Sure, I was a student, but I'd decided that the state computer curriculum was kind of shit, and I'd redone it. I then did teaching sessions for the teachers who were supposed to teach the classes, a few days ahead of where they were in the lesson plan.

Anyway, I also spent my lunch and "study hall" periods in the lab, supervising the machines. Games were allowed, and if you didn't bring your own floppies from home, I had a few things in my case that you could play, plus any game in the MECC library was available.

Of course, there was no network, no hard drive, and unless you took a hammer to it, you weren't going to do anything to those Apple //es.

In college, there were some restrictions on what software the lab Macs could run, but I had a nice collection of patches to fix them, and a password grabber that would snag any connections to the lab server, I just had to come back later and retrieve them. I had admin access to almost every lab server. The lab admins actually liked it, it made their job easier when ResEdit could run. They didn't know about the passwords.

(The statute of limitations ran decades ago, so that story can now be told.)

And now I'm the asshole admin, saying "no, you can't install that, it's got malware in it".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon