Reply to post: Re: To be clear ...

Zoom's end-to-end encryption isn't actually end-to-end at all. Good thing the PM isn't using it for Cabinet calls. Oh, for f...

Eclectic Man Silver badge

Re: To be clear ...

JH: Now then, Humphrey, what is this I hear about Zoom not being encrypted end-to-end?

HA: Now then, Prime Minister, I understand that the phrase 'end-to-end' is open to some interpretation, the interpretation of Zoom was that messages were encrypted at each end of the communication and therefore were encrypted 'end', to 'end' in that multiplexing of communications over the micro-wave network means that although the encryption may not be unbreakable, indeed may have been designed to make decryption readily achievable with error-correcting codes using ...

JH: Humphrey! Humphrey! speak in English, please. What is going on?

BW: I think Sir Humphrey was merely pointing out that the encryption applied by Zoom was indeed 'end-to-end', it was not encryption to be relied upon for secrecy.

HA: Thank you, Bernard.

JH: You mean that the cabinet meeting I held was not, 'secret'? That anyone could have listened in?

HA: Not entirely, if you used a password for access to the meeting, someone would have needed technical capability to hack in to the meeting.

JH: Well, that's a relief, I expect that would be pretty difficult.

BW: Actually, Prime Minister, my nephew was listening in from his bedroom, he's doing GCSE computing.

JH: MY GOD! all our secrets revealed. The deepest strategies of my government open to all to see! <sighs>. Did he take notes?

BW: No, Prime Minister, he fell asleep.

JH: Bernard, Humphrey, this must not happen again. You must set up something secure for next time.

HA & BW: Yes, Prime Minister.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon