Reply to post: Re: Remote software updates

16 years and counting: How ESA squeezed oodles of bonus science out of plucky Mars Express probe

vogon00

Re: Remote software updates

Red, thanks for pointing that out.

Now, this requires a moderately large leap of faith.....but the 'orbit of another planet' part actually doesn't matter.

If you look at things from a system point of view, each node or functional entity in the system is remote from it's neighbours/adjacencies to some degree. They may be separated by 5 Meters of utterly reliable Ethernet cable via a low-latency switch, or a few million miles of comparatively 'risky' and stupidly-high-latency hops via the Deep Space Network.

Once you've appreciated that, and done the appropriate design, modelling, and completed a confidence-giving 'review and test' process, remote software update is not as scary as you may think. Of course, I've only ever done terrestrial upgrades myself*, and no doubt I would have a seriously twitchy bottom doing what these guys did, not to mention a seriously bad case of pride in what I had achieved when it worked.

Bottom line for me here is : Muchos kudos and respect to the folks managing the mission software and science etc., but at least as much kudos is due to the folks in the DSN organisation.

You can't do jack without that bit of ethernet cable. Also, the connectors used at each end of the link aren't moving, and you can always see from one end of the fibre to the other with no interruptions.

Have a look at what spacecraft/missions the DSN enables..

Lower layers to the rescue, yet again :-)

[ * : Despite the handle ]

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon