Reply to post: Re: letting thngs slide

Planet Computers has really let things slide: Firm's third real-keyboard gizmo boasts 5G, Android 10, Linux support

doublelayer Silver badge

Re: letting thngs slide

I've wanted one of their devices since they first came along. A mobile computing device that can be used for more complex tasks would be fantastic. But unfortunately every time I hear about them, they receive one more shallow cut. First, the keyboard layout on the Gemini was nonstandard--that's a little annoying when I'm running terminal commands or writing code*. Then, the keyboard was stated to be wobbly. Then, Linux support seems to be an afterthought--it's available, just not until we do a bunch of work on it first. Then, flaky updates and bugs in Android too.

But I still want the concept device. And I'm willing to compromise on quite a bit. I'm willing to do my own fiddling with the UI--a standard Linux desktop GUI won't work great on a tiny screen but I don't feel like the manufacturers have to get it looking beautiful; I can do that work. I'll accept a keyboard that doesn't feel great or one that has a nonstandard layout, but not both. I don't need the device to have a convenient phone screen--if having to open it to answer a message is the price I have to pay for a keyboard, I'm willing to do so. I'm not after perfection, yet it seems like they're still not meeting my expectations.

*I'm not planning to do a lot of day-to-day work on such a small device, but there are times when I want to calculate a complex result which is easier to do through a programming language than a calculator app. Or sometimes, I might want to run an SQL statement and see the results, which doesn't work great in a graphical view either. In either case, I want convenient access to my punctuation.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon