Reply to post: I'd consider one

Planet Computers has really let things slide: Firm's third real-keyboard gizmo boasts 5G, Android 10, Linux support

Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

I'd consider one

I'd consider one, if I had the cash. My KeyOne is quite nice (but it's the BBB100-3 that is stuck on Android 7.1.1, because Verizon Wireless choose to ship a phone that claimed Android being kept up to date for 3 years, then got and shipped zero updates but the first couple Android 7 security updates for it.) Having a keyboard is a godsend. I know how to use the Android on screen keyboard, but it's simply awful to type on compared to a real keyboard, even when it's that small.

You know when I went to the store to find one, before the sales droid finally admitted they had no KeyOnes and no intention of stocking it (despite it being a Verizon retailer, when Verizon was theoretically stocking these phones...) their solution to the keyboard problem was to pay twice as much for some giant like 9" "phone", because the on screen keyboard on it would be bigger! Ha, as if!

It is kind of funny, the mainstream vendors (Motorola, LG, etc.) will take a look at a recent IPhone or Galaxy phone, make a phone that's the same shape, same types of trim on it, and even throwing on dumb stuff like a screen "notch", running the same version of Android, then whine and whine that they can't make their phones stand out from the competition. Well, that's because they DON'T stand out when you do absolutely nothing to make it stand out!

These keyboard phones sold reasonably despite the kind of problems that should kill sales -- in the case of the KeyOne running out of stock frequently, I'm sure losing sales; and making deals with the likes of Verizon, who "sold" it as a Verizon phone but didn't stock it in stores. I do think if Motorola or LG (or even Samsung, but they probably sell enough Galaxy phones anyway they don't have to do anything) made a nice keyboard phone or two, I'm not saying they'd break sales records but I do think they'd sell plenty to be a viable market.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon