Reply to post: Re: "I guess that nobody wants to commit to the learning curve."

What happens when the maintainer of a JS library downloaded 26m times a week goes to prison for killing someone with a motorbike? Core-js just found out

eldakka

Re: "I guess that nobody wants to commit to the learning curve."

Beyond the "how to" for users, it mostly consists of some paraphrase for "reverse engineer it, sucker".

When software is Open Source and free (as opposed to commercially supported Open Source software), is it really fair to expect the author/maintainer to produce the reams of documentation - that often take longer than the actual coding/testing work itself - necessary that you are implying?

I, personally, don't think it is.

The user of such software needs to do their own due-diligence as to what services are provided by the maintainer (support, documentation) and decide based on their own needs whether to use that product as is.

Running up a website so my family can download my holiday snaps, no problem, don't care, if it breaks so what?

Defence department having it as a dependency in their logistics support system expected to be used for the next 20-40 years? Do your due diligence and move on to another package (possibly developing your own) that provides the support you need.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon