Reply to post: Re: But I don't have a so-called "smart" phone.

It's time to track people's smartphones to ensure they self-isolate during this global pandemic, says WHO boffin

doublelayer Silver badge

Re: But I don't have a so-called "smart" phone.

Exactly. When you put the IMEI and IMSI together, and your device obligingly sends that to your network provider, which stores it in the database of never gets deleted, they now have a pretty good method of identifying information--if you replace the SIM in another device, they'll find you. If you use someone else's SIM in the original device, that provider can coordinate to identify you. Of course there's some noise with devices sold secondhand, but it wouldn't be hard to identify your traffic if I had access to the providers' databases. How concerned you are about this will depend primarily on your reasons not to want to be tracked, your general paranoia level, and how likely you think it is that the various organizations who want it have access to these databases (such organizations including your country's surveillance service, other countries' surveillance services, people who like selling data on you, and people who broke in through an insecure system). For many, it's not all that concerning, but it's useful to know what data exists to stay alert for potential privacy and security risks.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon