Reply to post: Re: Naomi Klein

It's time to track people's smartphones to ensure they self-isolate during this global pandemic, says WHO boffin

LucreLout

Re: Naomi Klein

Government back then was saying 'we'll get 70K dead at worst, and 3k dead in a best case scenario' - this was in the UK. final stats... not even 1000 dead. SARS was identical, as was the bird flu.

And yet still a friend lost his father to bird flu - a man I held in enormous respect.

People die all the time, and they die from disease all the time, but the way the media is going on about it you'd think half the population is going to succumb to this disease... which it obviously won't....

Quite possibly 10% of us will though, unless we distance and or lock down. Uncomfortably for many of the young is the new knowledge that they may not be as immune tot his virus as they had assumed, and it won't just be the old that die. Though quite frankly I consider your temporary loss of ability to sit in the pub a price well worth paying if it keeps my folks alive (underlying conditions you see - they get this they die).

There must be many families with immunocompromised children that are living moment to moment in sheer terror, and for those people I am certainly happy to forgo a few Thursdays in the Dog & Duck, work from home, and home school my kids.

I want you to be right and this to be overblown more than you can possibly imagine, but you're not. And by the time you realise that, it would otherwise be too late for a lot of folk. So take one for the team, in good graces, or accept that there is no society and devil take the hindmost.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon